Thursday 10 January 2013

Why it's important to talk the talk about men

Today I had call from a public sector worker in an English county council who told me that my work in Brighton & Hove has been influencing the way services are shaped and delivered in her county.

She had been following my writings online and taken to incorporating many of the things she'd picked up into her own work and the work of her colleagues. She did this because she is committed to improving the lives of men and boys in her county. 

I'd never met or spoken to this woman until last month - just like I've never met or spoken with the health promotion worker in Australia who I blogged about on Tuesday - but both have been generous enough to take time this week to tell me that they've been inspired by my work.

And they know about this work because I took time to "talk the talk" about the men's work I do and my vision of a world where every human of every gender is enabled to thrive and fulfil their greatest potential. And I also took time to talk about some of the best examples of work with men and boys around the world that I have been able to find (so far).

And what has inspired me to commit my life to talking the talk on men's issues is these people who have been "walking the walk" for much, much longer than I have - the people on the frontline who are prepared to be inspired by the challenge of improving the lives of men and boys and are taking action. 

So how does all of this talk inform the AllMen Project. 


The AllMen Project is a "community of empowering individuals making a collective difference for men and boys" and one of the three strategic objectives of the AllMen Project is "causing conversations that could change the world". 

As our our community grows and becomes more potent  - and our conversations become more powerful - our ability to change the world will expand.

Some of us are already walking the walk, some of us are already talking the talk and some of us doing both - and it all makes a difference - though we can't always know how much of a difference we are making - particularly when we're talking the talk. 

When we talk the talk in public, for example, we don't always know who's out there in our community listening in on our conversations (until they are kind enough to email or call and let us know).

But if we want to transform the way the world works for men and boys then it's important that we keep talking the talk and inspiring and empowering ourselves and others to take action and make a difference to the lives of men and boys everywhere.  

If you want to become part of The AllMen Project community then find out how you can Get Involved today

No comments:

Post a Comment